1. Home
  2. »
  3. Facilities
  4. »
  5. sassa.gov.za Apply for Disability Grant : Sou...
All posts from

sassa.gov.za Apply for Disability Grant : South African Social Security Agency

Sponsored Links:
Want to comment on this post?
Go to bottom of this page.

Name of the Organization : South African Social Security Agency
Type of Facility : Apply For Disability Grant
Location : Pretoria
Website : https://www.sassa.gov.za/Pages/Disability-Grant.aspx

SASSA Apply for Disability Grant

** A disability grant is available to people who are unfit for work because of a physical or mental disability.

Related / Similar Facility : SASSA Apply for Foster Child Grant

About a disability grant :
** If you have a physical or mental disability which makes you unfit to work for a period of longer than six months, you can apply for a disability grant.

** You get a permanent disability grant if your disability will continue for more than a year and a temporary disability grant if your disability will last for a continuous period of not less than six months and not more than 12 months.

** A permanent disability grant does not mean you will receive the grant for life, but that it will continue for longer than 12 months.

How do you know if you qualify :
To qualify, you must :
** be a South African citizen or permanent resident or refugee and living in South Africa at the time of application
** be between 18 and 59 years old.
** not be cared for in a state institution

** have a 13-digit, bar-coded identity document (ID)
** not earn more than R61 800 (5 150 per month) if you are single or R123 600 (10 300 per month) if married.
** not have assets worth more than R891 000 if you are single or R1 782 000 if you are married

** undergo a medical examination where a doctor appointed by the state will assess the degree of your disability
** bring along any previous medical records and reports when you make the application and when the assessment is done.

** The doctor will complete a medical report and will forward the report to South African Social Security Agency (SASSA).
** The report is valid for three months from the date you are assessed.

Note :
** If you are under 18 and need permanent care due to your disability, your primary caregiver can apply for a Care Dependency Grant.

** If you don’t have an ID, you will be required to complete an affidavit and provide proof of having applied for the document from the Department of Home Affairs.
** If you have not applied for an ID, you must do so within three months of applying for the grant.

How much will you get :
** The maximum is R1 350 per month.

How will you be paid?

A grant will be paid to you through one of the following methods :
** cash at a specific pay point on a particular day
** electronic deposit into your bank account, including Postbank (the bank may charge you for the service)
** an institution not funded by the State – e.g. home for people with disabilities.

When may your grant be suspended :
The following may result in the suspension of your grant :
** when your circumstances change
** the outcome of a review

** if you fail to co-operate when your grant is reviewed
** when you commit fraud or misrepresent yourself
** if there was a mistake when your grant was approved.

When may your grant lapse :
The grant will lapse when you :
** pass away
** are admitted to a state institution
** do not claim for three consecutive months
** are absent from the country.

Please note :
** If you are admitted to an institution that has a contract with the state to care for you, the grant is reduced to 25% of the maximum amount of the grant.

** That will be done with effect from the 4th month following your admission to that institution.
** The reduced grant is re-instated immediately from the date you are discharged from the institution.

What you should do?

Complete a disability grant application form at your nearest South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) office in the presence of a SASSA officer.

** A medical report and functional assessment report confirming your disability.
** Proof of marital status (if applicable).
** Proof of residence.

** Proof of income or dividends (if any).
** Proof of assets, including the municipal value of your property.
** Proof of private pension (if any).
** Your bank statements for the past three months.

** Refugee status permit and 13-digit refugee ID.
** Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) document (‘blue book’) or discharge certificate from your previous employer if you were employed.

** A copy of the will and the first and final liquidation and distribution accounts, if your spouse died within the last five years.
** After submitting your application you will be given a receipt to keep as proof of application.

Submit the following

Your 13-digit bar-coded identity document (ID). If you don’t have an ID :
** You must complete an affidavit on a standard SASSA format in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths who is not a SASSA official.

** You must bring a sworn statement signed by a reputable person (like a councillor, traditional leader, social worker, minister of religion or school principal) who can verify your name and age.

** The SASSA official will take your fingerprints.
** You will be referred to the Department of Home Affairs to apply for the ID while your application is processed.
** If you don’t get an ID, your grant will be suspended.

What if your application is not approved :
** The social security office will inform you in writing whether or not your application was successful.
** If your grant is not approved, the social security office will state the reasons why your application was unsuccessful.

** You can then appeal to the Minister of Social Development in writing, explaining why you disagree.
** Appeal within 90 days of receiving notification about the outcome of your application.

How long does it take :
** It may take up to three months to process your application.
** If your grant is approved, you will be paid from the day you applied.

How much does it cost :
** The service is free.

Forms to complete :
** Application forms are not available online, but you can get them from your nearest (SASSA) office.

Sponsored Links:
1 Comment
Add a Comment
  1. Michelle

    Where is the SASSA office for Hermanus? When do the visit Hermanus?

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment.

South Africa Jobs, Scholarship, Contest, Admit Card, Exam © 2021

Contact Us   Privacy Policy   SiteMap