1. Home
  2. »
  3. Facilities
  4. »
  5. dha.gov.za Apply for Death Certificate : Depa...
All posts from

dha.gov.za Apply for Death Certificate : Department of Home Affairs

Organization : Department of Home Affairs
Facility : Apply for Death Certificates
Website : http://www.dha.gov.za/index.php/civic-services/death-certificates

Sponsored Links:
Want to comment on this post?
Go to bottom of this page.

DHA Registering a Death

The Births and Deaths Registration Act requires that a person’s death be reported to any one of the following people :
** Specific officers at the Department of Home Affairs
** South African Police Service members , especially in areas where the Department of Home Affairs has no offices

 Related / Similar Service :
DHA How To Get Marriage Certificate

** South African mission, embassy or consulate, if the death occurred abroad
** Funeral undertakers who are appointed and recognised by the law
** Form BI-1663 (Notification of death/still-birth) must be completed when reporting a death.

Sponsored Links:

The following people have to complete different sections of this form :
** The person reporting the death
** A medical practitioner (where a medical practitioner is not available to complete this form, in rural areas for example, a traditional leader may complete the form)
** A Home Affairs official (where an official from the Department of Home Affairs is not available then a member of the SA Police Services may be approached to complete the form)

** A Death Report (Form BI-1680) will be issued after a death has been registered.
** This report can be issued only by someone whom the Department of Home Affairs has authorised to do so (this includes traditional leaders, members of the SA Police Services and authorised undertakers).
** These designated people may also issue burial orders. No burial may take place unless authorised by way of a burial order (Form BI-14).

Reporting a Death

Reporting a death that occurred outside South Africa :
** Deaths of South African citizens and South African permanent residence permit holders that occur outside South Africa must be reported to the nearest South African embassy or mission abroad.

** The country in which the death occurs must issue a death certificate and a certified copy of the death certificate must be submitted to the South African embassy or mission when reporting a death.

** If the deceased is to be buried in South Africa, the embassy or mission will assist with the paperwork and arrangements with regards to transportation of the body to South Africa.

Issuing of death certificates
** The Department of Home Affairs will issue a Death Certificate on receipt of the notification of death (Form BI-1663)and the Death Report (Form BI-1680).

** Applications for a Death Certificate must be lodged at any office of the Department of Home Affairs or at any South African embassy, mission or consulate if the death occurs abroad.
** An abridged death certificate will be issued free of charge on the same day of registration of death.
** An unabridged death certificate can be obtained by completing Form BI-132 and paying the required fee.

Contact Address

Department of Home Affairs
South Africa

Add a Comment
  1. Charmaine Morgan

    I am desperate forr advice. I have been waiting for nearly a year for the Dept of Home Affairs to issue my late husband’s death certificate. He died in the UK and I am living in the UK. I went through the whole process. The Embassy in London tried to follow up with DHA and so have I but no information is forthcoming. I have no idea what is happening. Can someone help me please.

  2. Charmaine

    How do I contact the South African embassy in London to report my husbands death? Do I have to call or go there in person?

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment.

South Africa Jobs, Scholarship, Contest, Admit Card, Exam © 2021

Contact Us   Privacy Policy   SiteMap