Organization : eThekwini Municipality
Head Quarters: Durban
Facility : How To Licence Your Business
Website : http://www.durban.gov.za/City_Services/Business%20Licensing/Pages/default.aspx
Application Check List : https://www.southafricain.com/uploads/464-BusinessLicensingCheckList.pdf
Notice For Event : https://www.southafricain.com/uploads/464-NoticeForEvent.pdf
New Tariff : https://www.southafricain.com/uploads/464-BusinessLicencingNewTarrifs.pdf
Durban How To Licence Your Business
** Anyone wishing to open an accommodation or entertainment establishment, or food outlet in eThekwini has to register with Business Licensing Department.
Related : Durban eThekwini Municipality How to Pay Council Bills : www.southafricain.com/455.html
** The purpose of this Unit is to ensure that all businesses in those sectors in eThekwini municipal area comply with the Business Act, 1991 (Act No. 71 of 1991) which states that no person/ business may conduct a business without a business license.
** The Business Licencing Unit conducts inspections and raids and the business owners who do not follow legislation can be prosecuted.
** There are different requirements for opening up a business.
** For accommodation establishments the applicant needs to complete an application for an accommodation establishment, get special consent from the Town Planning Department, have the Title Deeds and Electrical Compliance Certificates.
** A copy of the identity documents is also required.
** Entertainment establishment applicants have to complete Provision of Health or Entertainment form.
** For food establishments, application must complete a sale or supply of meal or perishable foodstuffs form.
** They will need to have the original landlord’s signed consent, consent form the Town Planning Unit, relevant documents if applying under a company, copies of members Identity documents and Proxy letter for a person to submit/ sign on behalf of the company.
** The licenses are valid for as long as the business is in operation.
** It is renewable once a year by the end of January.
** A business license is issued subject to all the requirements being submitted and if the applicant complies with the requirements of all the Units, such as Health and Fire requirements.
** Tariffs are subject to change every financial year.
** The licensing department also makes provision for amendments of a licence issued, or of a condition on the endorsement.
** For more information you can contact the Business Licencing Unit on 031 3114535.
1. Completed Application Form With Property Description (ERF Number)
2. Original Landlord’s Consent
3. ID Copy
4. Close Corporation, Certificate of Incorporation and Directors or members details.
5. Proxy letter when lodging on behalf of a CC or company & ID copy of person receiving proxy.
6. An SAPS fingerprint report clearly stating ‘NO ILLICIT ACTIVITY IDENTIFIED’ for all Item 2 (Health facilities or Entertainment) license applications only.
7. Electrical Certificate of Compliance – Accommodation Establishments only.
NB : Certificate should not be older than a year
8. Proof of ownership if building is a share block
a. Shareholder Certificate or;
b. Rates letter / Lease Agreement
9. Payment Options :
1. Pay a direct cash fee at our Licensing Offices (once-off payment)
2. Pay via EFT – eThekwini Municipality is loaded as a pre-defined Beneficiary on all Internet banking platforms.
** Kindly select this beneficiary when making payment.
** It is mandatory to quote the Metro Reference below in the reference field; OR please approach your respective bank for assistance on how to set up your payment.