You are here: Home > ZZ-Old-Archived-Posts
All posts from Apply For Social Relief of Distress : South African Social Security Agency

Name of the Organization : South African Social Security Agency
Type of Facility : Apply For Social Relief of Distress
Location : Pretoria
Website :

Sponsored Links:
You can now ask your questions about this post. Please go to the bottom of this page.

SASSA Social Relief of Distress

** Social relief of distress is temporary provision of assistance intended for persons in such a dire material need that they are unable to meet their families’ most basic needs.

Related / Similar Service :
SASSA Unemployment R350 Grant

SASSA Apply For Child Support Grant

This could be due to any of the following factors :
** you need help while you wait for your children’s grants to be processed
** a crisis or disaster has occurred (e.g. your house has burnt down)
** you do not qualify for a grant, and you are in a desperate situation

** you are unable to work for a period of less than six month because you are medically unfit
** you are unable to get maintenance from the other parent of your child or children

** the breadwinner in the family has died
** the breadwinner has been sent to prison for a short time (less than six months)
** you have been affected by a disaster, but the area or community in which you live has not been declared a disaster area.

What Do You Get?

** The Social Relief of Distress may be in the form of a food parcel or a voucher to buy food. Some provinces give this assistance in the form of cash.
** Social Relief of Distress is given for a short time only – usually for up to three months, which may be extended for another three months.

What You Should Do?

** Apply for social relief of distress at your nearest South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) office.

Submit your application with the following documents :
** your 13-digit bar-coded identity document and your children’s birth certificates.

if your identity document and/or a birth certificate are not available :
** an affidavit commissioned by a Justice of the Peace.
** The affidavit must contain a clause which indicates that provision of incorrect or inaccurate information will result in prosecution in terms of Section 21 of the Social Assistance Act, 2004.

** a sworn statement by a reputable person who knows the applicant and the child. This may be from a councillor, traditional leader, social worker or minister of religion.
** proof that an application for a birth certificate or identity document has been lodged with the Department of Home Affairs.

** where applicable, a temporary identity document issued by the Department of Home Affairs.
** a baptismal certificate.
** a road to health clinic card.
** a school report.

Please note :
** No application can be processed without the sworn statement/affidavit.
** If you do not have an identity document and birth certificates, an affidavit from your local police station, chief, councillor or religious leader may be enough proof.

Documents Required

Show proof that you :
** have applied for a grant
** have had an emergency (e.g. provide a police report that your house burnt down)
** have tried to get maintenance

** have no other support
** are married, divorced, or single
** have no income
** have a short-term medical disability.

How long does it take :
** Your application will be processed immediately.
** Once your application is submitted, it will be assessed for credibility and your genuine need for the service.

** Even if you do not have all the documents, you will get your first month’s food parcel, voucher or cash.
** Remember to take all the documents to the officer before the second month’s payment is due.

** If you do not, you may not get your second and third month’s food parcel, voucher or cash.
** If there is no change in your circumstances after you have received the grant for three months, you may apply to have the grant extended for another three months.

How much does it cost :
** The service is free.

Forms to complete :
** The application form is not available online, but you can get it at your nearest (SASSA) office.

Who to contact :
** South African Social Security Agency(SASSA)

SRD Contact Numbers

Regional Contact Numbers for Social Relief of Distress (SRD) Applications. Applications could be made by either calling SASSA National Call Center: 0800 60 10 11 or Email to: grantenquiries [AT]

Add a Comment
  1. My outside income has dried up due to the lockdown, how or where do I go for financial relief as my insurance policies and hospital plan are about to be cancelled due to non payment. Please help

  2. because of the dangers posed by covid-19 which requires social distancing,
    how is congestion of people going to be avoided when applying for social relief of destress grants

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment.

South Africa Jobs, Scholarship, Contest, Admit Card, Exam © 2017

Contact Us   Privacy Policy