Organization : Gauteng Department of Education
Facility Name : GDE 2021 School Admission FAQs
Applicable For : Grade 1 & Grade 8
Application Opening Date : 25.06.2020
Website : https://www.gdeadmissions.gov.za/
|You can now ask your questions about this post. Please go to the bottom of this page.|
GDE School Online Admission
2021 School Admissions Applications For Grade 1 and Grade 8. Apply now to secure a space for your child.
Related / Similar Facility : gdeadmissions.gov.za 2021 Online Registration
1. Will applicants who apply first be placed first?
No. Applicants will be placed in accordance with the amended Admissions Criteria, which prioritises applicants who live in the school feeder zone from the home address that is closest to the school
2. How long will the Admission Online System be open for applications?
30 Days, including Saturdays and Sundays. The System will close on 25 July 2020
3. Do I have to apply on the first day when the System opens to ensure that my child is placed first?
The applicant who applied first will not be placed first, the applicant who lives in the school feeder zone at the home address that is closest to the school will be placed first.
4. Which Grades should I apply for on the Admissions Online System?
Only apply for learners that are going to Grade 1 and Grade 8 in 2021
5. Do I have to apply for Grade 1 for my child that is currently in Grade R in a public school?
Yes. Parents must apply ONLINE for ALL learners that are going to Grade 1 OR Grade 8 in 2021. Grade R learners are not automatically accepted into Grade 1 at their current school
6. How do I apply for my child who is going to Grade 2 – 7 or Grade 9 – 12 in 2021?
Learners that are already in school in Grade 1 – 6 or Grade 8 – 12 are encouraged to remain in their current schools. Only parents who have relocated should go directly to a school in your area to enquire about availability of space.
7. I would like my child to repeat Grade 1 / Grade 8. Do I apply online?
No. You may only apply ONLINE for learners that are going to Grade 1 or Grade 8 for the first time in 2021
8. Can I apply for my neighbour’s child or my sister’s / brother’s child?
Yes. However, DO NOT use your own profile. You must Register the details (ID Number, cell phone number, address) of your neighbour / sister / brother for their children’s applications
9. How many schools can I apply to for one child?
You can apply to a maximum of 5 different schools
10. Can I apply for more than one child?
Each parent may apply for a maximum of 3 children per Grade. This means each parent can apply to Grade 1 for 3 different learners OR to Grade 8 for another 3 different learners
11. What is a school feeder zone?
A school feeder zone is the area from which a school accepts Its core intake of learners.
12. What application Options are available for applicants to choose from?
There are 5 application options, namely
Option 1 – Home : The applicant learner’s place of residence is closest to the school within the feeder zone
Option 2 – Sibling / Previous School : the applicant learner has a sibling attending the school
Option 3 – Work : the place of employment of at least one of the applicant learner’s parents is within the feeder zone of the school
Option 4 – 30 kms within of the school : the applicant learner’s place of residence is within a 30 kms of the school
Option 5 – beyond 30 kms from the school : the applicant learner’s place of residence is beyond a 30 kms from the school
13. How can I make sure that my child is accepted at a school close to my home address?
** When Registering your details (Step 1), make sure that you provide / select your home address accurately
** When Applying to school, (Step 3), select “Home” Option to see the list of schools with feeder zones that cover your home address. Apply to the schools that are closest to your home address
** Note that placement is based on the number of spaces available at the school
14. How do I know that my Application is complete?
You must complete a 3 Step Process as follows
Step 1 : Register Parent Details
Step 2 : Register Learner Details
Step 3 : Apply to a School
When your application is complete, you will receive an SMS with a reference number (Please save this information as you will need it to view your application)
15. How do I ensure that my child is placed at a school that offers the Language that he/she was taught in from Grade 1 to Grade 7?
Select the “Previous School” Option when you Apply to a school. Placement will be offered at a relevant school where space is available
16. Is my child automatically placed at the school/s that I applied to?
No. You will receive an offer of placement from ONE or MORE of the schools during the Placement Period (1 October 2020 to 30 November 2020). Parents must respond by accepting the offer within 7 days to secure placement
17. How do I apply for my twins/triplets to go to Grade 1 / Grade 8 at the same school
The System will allow you to make ONE application for twins / triplets. Note that the learners will be linked to the ONE application on the basis that their date of birth is the same.
If you have questions Email us at gdeinfo [AT] gauteng.gov.za or Call us at 0800 000 789 | 011 355 0000