Organization : Gauteng Department of Education
Facility Name : GDE 2022 Online Registration FAQs
Applicable For : Grade 1 & Grade 8
GDE Admission Portal : https://www.gdeadmissions.gov.za/faqs/
|Want to comment on this post?
Go to bottom of this page.
FAQ On GDE Registration
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on GDE Registration. Enrolment of Current Grade 7 Learners in Public Ordinary Schools into Grade 8.
Related / Similar Service :
Step 1 : Parent Registration
Step 2 : Adding The Address
Step 3 : Learner Registration
Step 4 : Applying To A School
Step 5 : Uploading Of Documents
FAQ On Parent Registration
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Parent Registration
1. How do I apply?
Logon to www.gdeadmissions.gov.za and click on Verify or Register. The System will guide you through each one of the 5 steps to make an application
2. I do not have any documents. Can I still apply?
Yes, you can apply. In Step 1, click on “No SA ID” and continue with your application
3. I have started to register my details, but I cannot go beyond the section of my ID?
** Refresh the page.
** Make sure that you have entered the correct ID Number.
** Your ID number is validated by the Department of Home Affairs.
** After verification of your ID Number, the System will provide all the vowels in your name and surname and you need to add the consonants to complete your name and surname.
** After adding the consonants, click OK / Submit to continue with your application.
4. I have been trying to register but cannot go to the next step after entering the password
Make sure that your password contains all the following characters
** 1 lower case alphabetical character
** 1 upper case alphabetical character
** 1 numeric character
** 1 special character
** 8 or more characters
Enter the exact same password in Confirm Password
5. I would like my child to repeat Grade 1 / Grade 8. Do I apply online?
Yes. Parents must apply ONLINE only for children that are currently in Grade 1 or Grade 7
FAQ On Adding the Address
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Adding the Address
1. I’m trying to add my address, but the location / address is not correct
** Click the “Can’t find address?”
** In more remote areas (rural area/plot/farm OR informal settlement), you will need to click on “Select address from map to proceed”
** You can move the red pin to a more accurate point on the map or use the option “use my location”. Once satisfied that you have found your address, click “Select location”.
A confirmation message will appear with the selected address. If it is correct click “Continue” and then “submit.
NB: Use “Use My Location” only when you are applying from your home or place of work
2. Can I use my Work Address to apply?
Yes, you can use your Work Address to apply to schools with feeder zones that cover your work address
3. Will the School accept my child if I applied using my Work Address?
Placement is prioritised for home addresses that are within the school feeder zone and closest to the school.
If your home address is not in the school feeder zone, you may receive an offer only if the school has space available after all applicants in the home address, previous school siblings are placed
4. What application Options are available for applicants to choose from?
There are 5 application options, namely :
Option 1 – Home address within school feeder zone: The applicant learner’s place of residence is closest to the school within the feeder zone
Option 2 – Sibling / Previous School: the applicant learner has a sibling attending the school
Option 3 – Work address within school feeder zone: the place of employment of at least one of the applicant learner’s parents is within the feeder zone of the school.
Option 4 – Home address Within 30 kms of the school: the applicant learner’s place of residence is within a 30 kms radius of the school; or
Option 5 – Home address Beyond 30 kms from the school: the applicant learner’s place of residence is beyond a 30 kms radius of the school
5. I used an incorrect address when I registered my details on the System. Can I change my address?
** Yes. Parents should be able to edit and change addresses during the Admissions Application Period.
NB! Changing your home address may affect all your applications as placement is prioritised at the school closest to your home address
FAQ On Learner Registration
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Learner Registration
1. How old should my child be to be admitted to Grade 1 in 2022?
Remember the child must be five (5), turning six (6) by 30 June 2022. You will not be able to apply for a child younger than this.
2. My child does not have documents. Can I still apply for him/her?
Yes, you can apply. Click on Undocumented “No SA ID” and following the step on the system
3. Can I apply for more than one child?
Each parent may apply for a maximum of 3 children per Grade. This means each parent can apply to Grade 1 for 3 different learners OR to Grade 8 for another 3 different learners
4. How do I apply for my twins/triplets to go to Grade 1 / Grade 8 at the same school?
The System will allow you to make two or three application for twins / triplets. Note that the learners will be linked to the ONE PARENT on the basis that their date of birth is the same. TWINS /TRIPLETS will be placed at the same school
FAQ On Applying To School
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Applying To School
1. How do I ensure that my child finds a school?
Apply to more than one school with a feeder zone that covers your home address. Make sure that you upload certified copies of your home address and the other required documents on the system or deliver same to the school/s you applied to
FAQ On Uploading Of Documents
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) On Uploading of Documents
1. What documents do I need to submit to a school after I made an application?
Certified copies of the following Documents must be submitted within 7 days after making an application
South African Citizens :
** Child birth certificate
** Parent/Guardian ID or Passport
** Valid Proof of Home/ Parent Work address
** Child Clinic card for Grade1 application
** Grade 7 report card for Grade 8 applications
** Proof of guardianship if a guardian
Non- South African Citizens :
** Passport OR
** Permanent Residence Permit OR
** Asylum Seeker Permit OR
** Refugee Permit OR
** Study Permit OR
** Parent Work Permit
** Valid Proof of Home/Work address
** Child Clinic card / proof of immunisation for Grade1 application
** Grade 7 report card for Grade 8 application
** Proof of guardianship if a guardian
2. What can the parent do if the school requested additional documents from parents before the child is placed at the school?
Parents should submit proof of the request for additional documents to the District Office
3. What options do I have to submit documents to school?
** Applicants may upload certified copies of required Documents ONLINE to one of the schools that you applied to All other schools that you applied to will be able to view (see) the documents
** If documents are submitted in hard copy, applicants must go to all the schools they applied to in order to submit certified copies of required Documents
Some Important Information From Comments
1. I have applied for my daughter for grade 8. Last week, both schools showed that all documents for application are being processed in orange color. Today all of a sudden one school shows that it’s awaiting for verification and the other that all documents verified. Should that worry me (or) what?
2. I have applied in September but the system gave me only 1 school which they said I am on waiting list up until today my two kids are sitting at home doing nothing. While people who applied late their kids have got space.
3. I have been helped by the walk in centre opposite UNISA in Pretoria. The guy registered my child as an Afrikaans student because only Afrikaans schools were still available in the Willows area. I have received only offers from Afrikaans schools and told to object online about the language. This, of course is not working. The head of the department in this area is sending me from pillar to post. I am so frustrated and worried that my child, Rendani has no school to go to.
Error / Problem:
1. I have been trying to upload my documents but the system does not open since last week Monday, until I decided to submit manual and fill up the forms at school and submit all certified documents and I received a message that my documents have been verified.
2. I have been trying to apply since Monday. The system takes me back to step 1 every time I enter my address.